Total Pageviews

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Rhyming (Mis)Adventure


Before I begin with my chronicle, I would like to share that Kennedi tied her shoe for the first time today!!! Now, back to our regularly scheduled shenanigans. While riding in the car, the girls are rattling off words trying to rhyme.  Sometimes they get the concept of rhyming and other times, not so much.  This outing was one of those “not so much” times for sure. 
 
Kylie asks, “Car, cap rhymes, right mommy?” I remind them that rhyming words have the same ending sound and not necessarily the same first letter.  I am about to give an example when Kennedi says, “Tape, glue, how about that?” In my mind, I’m thinking WTH, but I gently tell her no and provide her with the example of tape and cape.  I continue on as mommies will do and emphasize the end sounds, ever so carefully, pointing out the rhyme.  After all of my elaborate pontificating, Kennedi says, “Well tape and glue should rhyme. “ “They’re both sticky, right?” Tickled, I continued to explain that while that is a great observation, it doesn’t make them rhyme.  I know you are probably thinking that I left the rhyming lesson alone at this point, but you would be sadly mistaken. After all, I’m a mommy and it’s my job to explain the hell out of everything, right?

We pull into the gas station, and before I get out to fill up my gas guzzler, I tell them to listen again; to listen to the end of the words I’m about to say - GAS, PASS.  Kylie and Kennedi  simultaneously start  squealing.  In the almost inaudible chaos I hear phrases such as, Ewwww! Did you say pass gas? That’s disgusting! I didn’t pass gas, did you pass gas? For a brief moment, I contemplated explaining that I had NOT said pass gas, but for once, I restrained by pontificating tendencies,  got out of the car and pumped my $80 worth of gas while they continued to squeal and laugh at mommy. It was quite the rhyming (mis)adventure. What was I thinking?

6 comments:

  1. CAT AND MONKEY RHYME... THEY ARE BOTH HAIRY WITH TAILS...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW, right? Purse and bank account rhyme too. They're both empty! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you're saying you passed gas and then locked them in the car with it? Mario

    ReplyDelete
  4. you so walked into that one! I'm glad they caught it and gave you the what for. In the modern day vernacular: ROTFLM'B'O

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really wasn't "trying" to walk...but yes, I did. :-(

    ReplyDelete

What DEUX you have to say? Just remember, be nice or I'll sick the dynamic deux and their followers on you!