Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Teaching Gratitude

I little while back, I became concerned that my girls were becoming a bit bratty and if there is one thing that gets on my nerves, it's spoiled, bratty children.  They had started expecting to go somewhere everyday and it seemed like they were expecting to be bought everything that they saw.  Even worse, my answer of no was bringing out pouted lips and whining.  So I did what a  mommy does best, I started to lecture.  I explained that they needed to practice being grateful and that some children didn't have what they had, how they were fortunate to have bikes and cars, have traveled and yada yada yada, ad infinitum. I pontificated on the difference between need and want and the importance of saying thank you when someone gives them something, being grateful, and expressing gratitude.

Well, on my wild woman search for Taco Flavored Doritos (don't ask, it's another story but if you've had them, you understand), I had to go to Kmart because rumor had it that the treasure could be found there.  Seemed like a simple enough task except for the one crucial detail that I forgot.  CHUCK E CHEESE is right next to Kmart!  You can imagine the girl's excitement when I pulled into the lot, parked the car, and told them to take off their seat belts! So we finally make it into Kmart and the campers aren't happy.  I think the fear of another speech kept them from asking for anything and we almost covered the entire store because mommy doesn't shop at Kmart, doesn't know the store layout, and was being male by refusing to ask for directions!

We leave the store empty handed and in the vestibule are these gumball/toy machines.  The girls LOVE these machines.  They look at me, I look at them, and I reach in my pocket to hand them a quarter.  Kylie wraps her arms around me and gives me a huge thank you.  Kennedi thanks me as well, but with much less excitement.  They get their quarter toys and as we exit the doors, Kennedi says: "I was practicing being grateful, right mommy?"  I tell her that she was and to that she replies, "Good, now I can go to Chuck E Cheese!"   Needless to say, teaching gratitude continues.....

2 comments:

  1. While this is priceless, you have to post about two to three years of prior shenanigans. Leaping to mind: TV and medicine; good morning ritual with Wayne vs you; oh, and. . . senior moment erases the next anecdotes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I plan on adding prior shenanigans on days that I don't have anything to share, though I doubt there will be many...they do or say SOMETHING every day.

    ReplyDelete

What DEUX you have to say? Just remember, be nice or I'll sick the dynamic deux and their followers on you!